Wednesday, January 26, 2011

News writing for dummies.

I think I need to go purchase a "News Writing for Dummies" book.  I've never liked news writing, therefore I've never been particularly fond of news writing.  But after not writing a news article for almost a year, you forget how difficult it is to pick it back up.  So how am I doing with my first story? Let's just say...I'm struggling.
After I stared at a blank computer screen for almost an hour trying to think of a lead, I made the decision two days ago to change my topic-- a topic that I thought would be much easier...(key word here--thought).
My first story, about the lot where Mercy Hospital is, came to a halt when I spoke with John Paulsen about Witt's future plans with the lot.  Upon hearing that Witt has made no plans on purchasing the land, and even better, doesn't even know what they'd do with it, I quickly saw how hard it is to write about something that didn't happen.
On the positive side, I did have a great experience with stepping into my reporting shoes again.  After emailing Paulsen, I had a phone call from him within 15 minutes of sending it.  Not only was it was quick response, but he was beyond friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.  What a great way to start reporting again, right?!
Well, I'm rambling.  So to shorten things up--returning to news writing after months of "10 page paper writing", it's always a big jump that I once again have to grow used to.  But hey, I don't want to say too much about it until I see the grade of my first article...

No comments:

Post a Comment