Friday, April 1, 2011

The April funfest.

Not ever knowing the history of April fools, I googled the 'holiday'.  Here's what I found: when the Gregorian Calendar was introduced in in 1582, New Year's Day was moved to January 1, instead of April 1.  However, since mass-communication was almost nonexistent in 1582, many people either did not receive the news of the calendar change for several years or simply refused to accept the new calendar and continued to celebrate the new year on April 1.  These people who didn't accept it were titled "fools" by the general population, so now it has been passed through history as a day to play innocent pranks on your friends and family.
So this day is kind of funny--it's one day of the year that you're not ostracized for being an asshole. Hearing of the ridiculous things some people to do pull one over on one of their friends is comical, but the distance some people will go to pull these pranks is absurd---how long do you think it took that person to cover the desk with that many post-it notes?
I guess I am just biased on this holiday since I'm an overly gullible person.  Last year my roommate called to inform me that a portion of the science center was on fire. Believed that. She also just called me to tell me it's snowing (being stuck in the basement of student center) I believed that too. I guess even on April fools I will believe anything.
What's your best April fools day prank? I bet I will have fallen for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment