Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Show me the money!

Today's February 16th...that makes yesterday the 15th. And we all know what that means...PAY DAY.
I remember hearing someone in class talk about a potential story idea covering why we only get paid once a month.  Not only do I think this is a brilliant idea, but after looking at my statement that I received yesterday, I want to know even more.
I've heard through friends that when students work for Witt, they have received a federal work study package. Key word here--federal.  
Let's look into this.  I'm granted $2,800 a semester, meaning $5,600 a year, but do I make anywhere near this amount? Hell no. With many of my jobs, I'm limited to the number of hours I can work a week--so although I hold 4 campus jobs total, I'm making around $250 a month, but that's on a good month.  Once you factor in winter break cutting out half of December and January, the ice days, spring break, we're now looking at an average of $175.  So to add it up, I'm not anywhere near that $2,800 that I should be getting each semester.
As I heard through my friends, the federal work study money doesn't even come from Witt.  Since it's federal, we're granted a certain amount that goes towards working a campus job.  So, if it's not Witt's money, why are we limited to the number of hours we can work? Or more importantly, why am I not getting all of the money that I was granted?
I know a friend who has a campus job who let's her clock in her hours every month to where it will equal her given amount every semester.  That may seem like cheating the system--but it's her money, so why not?!
Enough ranting, basically, I want to know more about this. Are the rumors I heard true? Is it really not Wittenberg's money? And if so, why don't we get what we earned? I feel an investigation coming on..

No comments:

Post a Comment