Friday, February 25, 2011

Job description: Actively seeking an internship.

The title says it all, looking for an internship is a job in itself.  I'm just saying, if I got paid for how long I've been searching for an internship...I'd be rich--but just to clarify, by rich I mean "college kid" rich!
Realistically I want(ed) to go to a big city.  Seeking an internship in a field such as public relations, marketing, or advertising, it would ultimately be the best way to get my name out there in a competitive field-- big city, however, means big money.  If I went to a big city, I'd have to pay the $1000 monthly rent that accompanies a 300 sq ft. apartment.  So I then turn to an internship program, but after seeing that it comes with a $6,000 price tag (not including the $1,800 that Witt requires in order to receive credit), it ultimately deters my decision.  So, now I'm stuck strictly looking for internships in either Columbus or Dayton and both of those cities have only so many PR/marketing/advertising internships available to students.  Even after visiting the Career Center...twice...I feel as if I'm still stuck.

What are your opinions? Are internships easy to come by? Maybe I'm simply doing the wrong kind of searching...?

1 comment:

  1. Internships aren't as easy as I thought they would be either, Taylor. I've been looking for the same kind of marketing/PR/adversiting internships and haven't received any follow-ups in the Columbus area.

    Maybe I'm not applying for enough?? I'm stumped, too...

    ReplyDelete